Hello California teacher world! My name is Erika and I recently took and PASSED the CSET Multiple Subject Subtest 1 in April 2017 (yay!). In this post I’ll be sharing some free resources that I used to prepare and also some of the questions/essay prompts that I remember form the test.
Free Videos To Prepare
When I was preparing for the test I was hoping to find some free resources online to help me but I didn’t find much. This subtest requires knowledge of history and let me be honest, I had forgotten so much! I based my studying off of the CliffNotes book I bought at Barnes and Noble (no, I am not getting paid by CliffNotes to write that). However, I’m a visual learner and I was having trouble staying focused. So I decided to look online for documentaries to refresh my history knowledge and I saved all the links of the videos I watched. They definitely helped me!
Reading, Language, and Literature Section Videos:
Onset and Rime: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kkv2GbMdMss
History and Social Science Section Videos:
The Dark Ages: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSvfiQkC49s
America: The Story of Us: Revolution: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HByqPGoi_lw
Civil War: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPXaVozCsSQ
Transcontinental Railroad, Homestead Act, Cattle Drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJcCl_ZDJoQ
The Articles of Confederation: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQtJNK5_8Uk
Kush Civilization: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b86XE3TbXg0
Multiple Choice Topics I Remember
- Monroe Doctrine
- Picture of a Pyramid in Mesoamerica
- Reasons why the union had an advantage over confederates
- Mexican American War
- Why the entertainment industry started in California
- What a compound sentence is
Essay Topics I Remember
- I had to show how a passage used personification.
- Had to explain a child’s language development. There was a chart with spelling words and many that were spelled wrong. Easy was spelled “eze” for example.
- I was asked to explain two geographic reasons of ancient Egyptian development.
- I was asked to explain two ways California Native Americans views of the natural world influenced their everyday life.
Hope this helps someone as they are studying for this test. Good luck!